This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Revelations-Skate!

R
Hooray! My Skates won a prize at Tibbits... 1st place People's Choice.  How fun is that! The title of the show was "Kickin up your Heels"
Revelation- The process of these paintings was pretty interesting for me. They were completely unplanned. They started with neon colors that you can still see a bit through the white in the skates. I just put color around the canvas- it reminded me of colors in an 80's roller rink- so I decided to add skates. My first skates weren't drawn or painted very well, so I painted over them and left a bit of the original- you can see some of the outline and laces. Then I decided I wanted the word skate in a stencilish style in the background. I used red which created a need for a change in the neon colors- so I darkened the background and pulled red around more places. There is quite a bit of texture in the diagonal lines which you can't get a feel for in these images, and the color is washed out a bit. The neon still gives an underlying vibrancy. I splashed about paint to give more motion, and called it done!
To me, this is a pretty fun way to paint. I guess I don't really love to have to plan things all out, I prefer to see what happens. The drawback seems to be that my design suffers a bit. When I don't plan, I often think I should've planned the space a little better... but the process is more appealing to me this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment