This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

tip #4: sketchbook/ journal

My art tip today is to keep a sketchbook or journal.
It takes a bit of using one to decide how you really want to use one:) I used to just use any scrap of paper that was near me to draw on, and I didn't keep them very often. I do still have some napkins, paper towels, book pages, etc. that I have tucked into a spiral pad of drawing paper- but a sketchbook is a great way to keep a record of your progress. I have tried different sizes and bindings, have made my own, have purchased them and have been given some.  I find that I like to tuck one in my purse, so I love the little moleskines with the pockets.  I also carry the little skinny brown moleskines sometimes. Cara and I are in love with moleskines, they are quite addictive. Last night Cara read a quote to me that said a moleskine was better that a little black dress! so true!
A sketchbook, for me, is just a collection of my ideas, drawings, and sketches. It's a place to play. I write down scattered thoughts and ideas, practice contour lines, work out designs, create thumbnails and predrawings, try new materials, collage, tuck momentos in pockets, etc. etc. Sketchbooks have no rules. If you make a mistake, oh well... if you don't use it everyday, oh well... The only boundaries or rules are self imposed.  So, be easy on yourself and give yourself lots of freedom to create pages any way you want in your sketchbook!
I was very dedicated to my sketchbook for awhile, but lately I have gotten away from it. I miss it, so I am giving myself a new challenge- a self imposed rule that I have to draw 3 flowers from my garden this week.  The lily of the valley is in bloom and I don't want my sketchbook to miss that!

No comments:

Post a Comment