This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

tip #9- what inspires you?

 Inspiration is everywhere... in the repetition of colorful giftbags... rainbows in my backyard... children's artwork...


Do you need inspiration?
Look around you. Where do you choose to spend most of your time? What do you love? Who do you love? Where do you love to be? The people, places, and things that we love most are the easiest things to create artwork about. The more familiar, the deeper our understanding, the more extreme the attachment, the better the art! We have the most to say about the things we are most passionate about. Making artwork about what we know is almost mandatory. Then we can branch out from the places we are rooted.
Where does your curiosity lead you? What do you want to learn about? This is another area that I find I want to create artwork about. When I wonder about something, an idea starts forming. I let myself be led from there. I read about it, I hunt down visuals, I collect objects, I talk about it, and I mull it over.  Sometimes I come up with something good by going down this meandering path.
Watch what's going on around you. What are other people into? What are the popular shows on TV? What's on UTube? What are people talking about? What are current themes? What's in the news? What books are on the best seller list? These can all be great sources of inspiration.
Some artists keep idea boards, or binders. Some artists make lists. My daughter uses a 3 ring binder with the clear sleeves to keep picture that she looks through for inspiration. I use my sketchbook to develop ideas. I also use my camera to collect ideas. 
If you just need a place to start, start with something in the room you are in right now. What attracts your attention? What seems significant? What do you think you would like to focus on that you can see right now? What can you make, draw, or build that could tell about it? Just get started and do it. Sometimes starting is the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment