This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Tip #2- Listen


In developing your artscape it's so important to listen to your heart. Follow your instincts, let your real self guide you. It's so easy to get distracted. You see someone else's creation that you love, and it's tempting to try to fit yourself into that mold. There's nothing wrong with trying your hand at other artists styles and materials, but it is necessary to come back to yourself. You can never find your own true voice if you are always swayed by others. Don't be afraid to be unique, to be yourself in your artwork. Take risks. Be prepared to fail. What's the worst that can happen? You waste some paper, paint, etc. ? Messing up is part of the process. It's ok to make something that doesn't turn out that great, you always learn something about yourself as an artist whether or not your piece was successful. I like to think of my whole body of work as an artwork in itself. It's all a part of a continuum telling a story about myself. The compilation of my work speaks my heart. Think about what you truly love, listen to yourself, and create something that describes this love.

No comments:

Post a Comment