This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

tip #1- LOOK


My first tip is to LOOK!
Really open your mind to long, soaking-it-all-in looking.
Open your eyes, and enjoy the "artscape" all around you!
What do you enjoy looking at? Start there, and feast your eyes on it.
Savor what you see. Mull it over in your mind, don't rush, take your time and let it all sink in. Think about the tangibles.... the color, the texture, the lines, the shapes within your view.
What does your view remind you of? Let your mind take you there. Let your mind wander a bit, then come back to looking through your eyes to what you actually see before you.
Pick an object and slowly trace it with your eyes, trace every nook and cranny. Take your time. Try to memorize your lines.
See what you are seeing. Engage your brain in your seeing.
When you learn to really look at things you are never bored. I like to think that I am good at waiting because I am an intentionally practiced "looker". When I am waiting in line I often pick something to analyze or trace. I try to trace faces in my brain a lot. It's a little tricky, I don't like people to think I'm some kind of weirdo stalker- staring at people so intently, but it's great practice if you can get away with it!
Have fun LOOKING! really LOOKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment