This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

tip #7- surround yourself with like-minded, positive people

If you want to be a creator of art it helps a lot if you are around other people who are creating. Choose people that inspire and encourage you. You will grow as an artist much faster when you allow yourself to be nurtured by positive, creative, productive people. It's easy to think that artists need to isolate themselves and spend endless hours working alone in their studios. There are times when I need to paint alone, but I have found that I actually get more done when I meet on a regular basis with other artists. I love seeing what they are making, and hearing about their work. Hearing others' ideas can really rev up my production. I really enjoy my artist friends, and look forward to the times when we can work together. I wish I could work in a group several times a week, I think I work best that way. I can only manage once a week, and for now, that will have to do...
This is photo is of a small section of a painting I worked on tonight- Tuesday nights I meet with my friend Mary.
I suggest you find a local art group that you can join. In Jackson we have the Jackson Civic Art Association, I just joined this year. They have a lot to offer. They organize workshops, critiques, and exhibits. There are also groups for specific media in many areas. Google your media such as pastels, watercolors, photography, etc. and your town; you just might find a great group that you can meet with!

No comments:

Post a Comment