This blog is intended to encourage others on their journey into their creative "artscape". I have enjoyed many years as an artist learner, creator, and teacher. Life is inspiring, and I want to share the vantage point that I have been fortunate enough to view life from. I want to move a smidge over, and invite you to sit right next to me, and enjoy a 360 degree view of my "artscape". Join me in discovering and uncovering the creative soul that we all possess.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

tip #5- organization

Well, this is a tough one for me. I am somewhat organized, somewhat NOT. I have tried lots of different things to help myself. My biggest problem is that I think I need to keep everything! Over the years I have done so many different crafts and artwork that I have stockpiled a lifetime of materials. I have sewing supplies, beads and jewelry tools, soap making, every imaginable pencil and pen, sculpting, macrame, crocheting, etc. etc....  My husband has built me closets, shelves, cabinets... and I have the house and garage attics stuffed! It really is ridiculous. I have paintings in the dining room- where I organize them for framing and to go to shows. Cara has also added to the dilemna. Her sculptures are everywhere!
Anyway, here are some tips that I have figured out along the way. But, keep in mind, I am a long way from organized- but I am trying!

In this picture are Cara's tote and tackle box that she uses for her paper clay artwork. The wooden box contains grandma's pastels... There is a sketchbook on the left, and I have no idea why the fireworks are in the picture????? One of my latest paintings are in the background, daffodils.
  • keep like supplies together- all brushes together, all pens together, all pencils together
  • designate a cupboard or shelf for your art supplies
  • use clear storage containers so you can easily see if what you need is in there before you even open it
  • if possible, keep your supplies next to your workspace
  • keep some supplies in a tote if you work away from your storage area, even if it's in another room
Here are some products that I have found helpful:

  • portfolio
  •  any clear shoebox size containers
  • clear drawers on wheels
  • plastic crates
  • plastic totes with handles


    No comments:

    Post a Comment